Tuesday, March 28, 2006



Life as a single mom - March 28, 2006

Tim is away again in Adelaide. This is proving to be a challenge for me because I rely on him too much for my technology needs. I want to post some photos tonight but it took me about an hour to find the cord that connects the camera to the computer. Then, I realized I had to charge the battery. Find charger...but the charger has an American plug on it. Hmmm. There are two big plastic tubs full of various computer cables, tv wires, transformers and other mystery items. I found a plug adapter, but then saw it was for British plugs. Finally, I have the battery plugged into some American transformer, into a British extension cord, into a plug adapter, into the wall. If the house doesn't burn down first, I may be able to download photos later. Provided of course, that I can remember how to do that.

We were all set to put in a new light to replace the cherub, despite everyone writing in to say "Keep the light", when we discovered it is illegal for Tim to put in a light fixture. Apparently only a qualified electrician can change plugs or fixtures. They are on 240 v I think. Same as the UK, but different to the US. The Australian government doesn't think the average person is up to changing a fixture without electrocuting himself (or in the case of single mom...herself). We'll keep you up to date on the lighting developments - the new light is now in a box on the floor.

Other challenges this week have been learning how to turn on the TV and the DVD. That only took one frantic phone call to Tim. Happily, Elliott and I can watch the Simpsons after only one false start.

We have builders working on a wall in the back yard which means our pool is still a mess. I was ever so hopeful they had almost finished, but alas, it was not to be. I learned today about a drain and second wall. The wall is a beautiful stone wall - each stone lovingly cut and caressed before being put in place by a minimum of 3 workmen. I was told on March 13 they had 2 more days of work. So today, when he told me they would be finished in one more day, I have to admit I was skeptical.

As you can tell, not much in the way of interesting excursions. We did go to Lone Pine Sanctuary and saw the cutest kangaroo with a joey in her pouch. I went to take the picture, but had left the camera battery at home. See how this technology is haunting me? Luckily, we are only 10 minutes from this park and will go back this week to try to find that kangaroo.

Wow - check me out! Only 10 minutes on the phone with Tim and I'm up and running. Photo of pool and wall as discussed. The other photo is a shot of the Central Business District of Brisbane as seen from my neighborhood.

No comments: