Tuesday, May 16, 2006


The Australian Tuck Shop - May 16, 2006

The whole culture of Australia seems so much more informal than it was in England. We have noticed how many people never wear shoes. Flip Flops, or thongs as they are called here, are considered formal wear. We noticed this again at a choir performance at the school chapel last weekend. (Elliott has been forced to participate in the Middle School Choir.) Tim asked if he could wear shorts, but I quickly said "NO!" But upon arrival at the concert, we ran into one of Elliott's teachers who was wearing denim shorts and sandals.

This casual atmosphere is also present for school lunches. At his previous schools, Elliott was expected to sit at a table with other students and sometimes with a staff member. However, here, lunch is one giant free for all. There is no canteen/cafeteria. Kids bring their lunch and eat at a picnic table or while wandering around. If you don't bring your lunch, you can buy something from the school Tuck Shop. This is not like the little shop I was used to from before. In England, the tuck shop sold candy and a few snacks. Here, the tuck shop is a big business that provides everything from sandwiches, sushi, nooodles, hot dogs, crisps, ice cream, drinks, fruit plates, vegetable dips...and more. The school relies on parents (ok, let's face it...mostly mums) to provide the labor force. I also have to say the school does a good job at providing healthy food. All the food must follow guidelines about fat, salt and sugar content and portion size.

Anyway, I had worked the ice cream counter at the Middle School a few times in the past. Can I please have a Fruit Tube and a packet of crisps? Now, that I could handle. Two orderly lines - kids ordering one or two items. Last week, I had to work in the senior school tuck shop. Oh my! There were about 35 big kids all pressed up against the window pointing and saying "No that one...The smaller one...The red one!" These kids were ordering about 5 items at once and changing their minds and expecting me to find the items and add it up in my head. Well, after a few minutes, I had to go find the lady who runs the shop and tell her I couldn't do it! She looked slightly bemused and said "You'll be fine." But I was insistent, no, indeed I really couldn't do it. She did come over to help at that point. Luckily, after about 10 minutes with the two of us on the window, it did calm down.

So, here I am in Austalia for just a few short months and already making a name for myself at Elliott's school. I became the American Lady who almost freaked out and had to go home from Tuck Shop! At Elliott's schools in England, I thought it was strange how parents weren't encouraged to volunteer. Now I look back on those days with fond memories.

The rest of stuff is every day life sort of happenings. We bought a new sofa - so now every room in the house is funished. We've changed newspapers - had to go for the national paper, The Australian. The Brisbane paper had a front page story of a Football player who tested positive for drugs. Front page news maybe, but perhaps just a small mention on the front page, even half a page. But for the Brisbane paper, it was the only story - the entire front page - not even weather got a mention. After just a few days of the national paper, I already feel more connected to the rest of the world! It's been fun to see the British and American scandals. The photo is from our walk last Sunday up to Look Out Point at Mount Coot-tha. There are lovely views to the city, but my photography doesn't do it justice.

No comments: