Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Suburban Snake!

Yes! The day has arrived! My first Aussie suburban snake sighting! I was walking around the neighborhood with a friend this morning and spotted a snake! We were on the sidewalk and just to my left was a low hedge. Sticking out of the hedge, was a snake! It looked like a creeping vine sticking out, and it would have brushed up against my leg had I not noticed it. Of course, I saw it and ran shrieking into the street. Luckily, there was no car coming. I can imagine the headline: Stupid American Woman Hit by Car as She Runs from Harmless Tree Snake. Well, we think it was a tree snake. It was about a meter long and probably an inch or two in diameter.

It was funny to see a snake today, because yesterday, my tennis pals were telling me all about it. Apparently, snake season will soon be upon us. Spring is coming and the snakes will start appearing. 1) Clear all vegetation away from the house. 2) Check the pool before diving in. 3) Check the pool skimmer. They may look dead, but they aren't. Also, never chop a snake in two. It only makes them angry. First, break it's back with the blunt egde of shovel. Then, you cut it's head off. (Yeah, right, I'll do that...) At one place where I play, they killed 5 Deadly Brown Snakes in one day. I have decided not to chase the balls into the undergrowth - I'd rather buy a new set of balls.

Still no photos, because I am so hopeless. Maybe soon. Next week, there is a public holiday for the State Agricultural Show. I think I may be brave enough to face it - there are no lengths I won't go to just to get material for my readers.

Elliott is away tonight at Choir Camp. You can imagine he is thrilled at the prospect. I think it will be fun for him to get to know the kids a bit better. I am officially an embarassment to him - I made a huge faux-pas today. As we were driving to school, we passed his friend and I waved to him! How embarassing for Elliott - his mother waving away enthusiastically. He shrunk down in the seat and hoped no one would know I was his mother. I guess it only gets worse from here!

No comments: